Lampang Railway Station was firstly operated in the reign of King Rama VI on 1 April, 1916, which was the Thai New Year’s Day of the time. At that time, the head of the Department of Railways was a German engineer. Initially, the northern rail line ended here.
The station was located at the end of Suren Road in the area of the Ban Sop Tui Intersection where the first three roads of the North were connected. Then, rice farming fields in the suburb were rapidly changed to be urban areas to accommodate the increasing growth.
In 1921, the rail route was further developed by means of digging the Khun Tan Tunnel through the mountain to reach Chiang Mai. Thus, Lampang became a centre of goods from Bangkok to be distributed to destinations in the North, and vice versa. As a result, the Sop Tui trade district flourished. Beautiful ancient buildings in the area remain as architectural heritage and the symbol of Lampang.
How to get there ?
Lampang Railway Station is located in Tambol Subtui in the west side of Lampang City which can be accessed by local taxi, motorbike or bycicle.. The nearby tourist attraction is Tarad Kaojao known as 100 years old local market.. This market truly reflects life of Lampang people..
Related & Credit links
Nakhon Lampang Railway Station by TAT’s website..