The long history of Pra Chao Ton Luang of Wat Srikhomkham started from the Buddha who went to Lanna and lived near Nong Eang or Phayao Lake (Kwan Phayao) received only food from a goldsmith without any drink or beverage, therefore, Pra Arnon went to Nong Earg to fetch water for Buddha but was threatened by a serpent (powerful animal) lead the Buddha went to Nong Eang by himself.
Once a serpent saw the Buddha, it let Buddha to have water because of his characteristic and faith into Buddha. Then, serpent supported the gold to an old couple who lived near Nong Nok Eang for building Buddha in 1491, era of Praya Muang Yee and continuously building in Praya Hua Kean, and Pra Muang Tu spend time totally 33 years and finished in 1524. Pra Chao Ton Luang subjected as the largest bricked Buddha in the north with tall 18.5 meters, wide 14 meters, covered by gold. In that period, Phayao was a colony of Lanna and keep Pra Chao Ton Luang within the cover.
How to get there?
- By local taxi from Phayao Bus Station
- By motorbike or personal car